Hey, how you doin’?! Do you like my new website? Hope so! This is the first live post on it, and I am really happy to be showing you my new look and feel.
So, anyway, fish pie. We eat fish pie a LOT in this house. I used to think of it as a huge faff, but the mashed potato is the really the only laborious part. To make the most out of the work involved, I always make twice the amount I need then use the mash for another dish later in the week. The white sauce I make in the microwave, with my amazing all in one method. Simples. Then – and I admit, I did used to be snobby about these, but needs must – I whack a fish pie mix in. Et voila, you have a hearty meal that most kids will eat. And we should all be eating more fish, right?
The other thing we should be eating more of is veggies! I am trying to get more veg into pretty much everything, bar a bowl of cornflakes. This time, I sauteed a leek off and chucked that in. The kids didn’t even notice and it made it much more tasty.
The topping I dreamed up as I was feeling a bit bored of topping it with grated cheese. I mean, I still like a fish pie with melted cheese – it’s the best bit that my kids fight over! But if you fancy a change, then either whizz up some bread to make breadcrumbs, or use panko breadcrumbs, as I have here. They are cheap and readily available – and a great store cupboard stash for making homemade fish fingers, chicken or veggie nuggets.
Serves: 4-6 people
Time it takes: 1 hour
- Red skinned potatoes – about 1kg (double up to save energy later in week!)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pint of whole milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1 leek
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Packet of fish pie mix
- 100g Panko breadcrumbs
- 100g Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (dried is OK too)
- Boil potatoes. Mash or rice with a potato ricer for a no lumps mash. Mix butter and splash of milk. Season.
- Saute the sliced leeks over a medium heat in butter – about 15 minutes to get them nice and soft, season, and set aside.
- Pop fish pie mix into a baking dish.
- Put milk, butter, flour in a jug. Microwave the sauce for 6 minutes, whisking every minute. It works, trust me! Add mustard and seasoning.
- Preheat oven at 180C.
- Add leeks to fish pie mix. Now the sauce, give a little mix.
- Top with mash. Mix Parmesan and panko in a bowl with herbs. Scatter over the top, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 35 minutes.